Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Phone Call That Changed Everything

After the ultrasound we all went out to eat at Steak-N-Sheak. I held Noah's ultrasound pictures the whole time and couldn't wait to call and text people our big news. I barely even paid attention enough to order. The appointment kept replaying in my head. The ultrasound technician was really nice but she seemed worried that I was so worried about something being wrong. She asked if I had any reason to worry.. like something in our family history. I said down syndrome.. but our blood test already confirmed that baby tested negative for down syndrome and spina bifida. She kept saying, "You two are going to make amazing parents. Amazing parents." I would be lieing if I said I wasn't still worried. The doctor took a look at our ultrasound photos and we were supposed to get a phone call if there was anything to be concerned about. Hours passed. We took my friends home and everything started winding down. I assumed everything was okay.

On our way home I received a phone call. I looked down at my phone and saw it was from our clinic. My heart sank. There was no way they would be calling us with good news. I teared up immediately as I answered it. It was our nurse. She said the doctor found abnormalities on our ultrasound and that we need to come in to speak with her as soon as possible. We scheduled to come in at 8 the next morning.

Steven and I were both in tears. We both called into work and went home. This day was supposed to be so wonderful and instead we were laying in bed holding each other not knowing the fate of our sweet little boy.

Many things ran through my head.. what if it's something simple? Like a dark spot on the ultrasound? Or he has too much amniotic fluid? Those things go away and can be fixed. What if he has clubbed feet? Those would improve with casts. What if it's something worse? Something fatal? Will our baby make it? Will we lose him? He seemed fine in the ultrasound.. but to an untrained eye it's hard to tell. Steven tried so hard to keep my hopes up. I was a mess. He was too but tried to hold it together for my sake.

All we ended up doing the rest of the night was searching possible abnormalites that could be found at a 20 week ultrasound.. and praying.

Praying that we'd get a chance to meet this little boy who's been such a big part of our life for 5 months.. and that he would be healthy and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment