Monday, April 29, 2013

What Spina Bifida Looks Like To Us

When I was pregnant I was so afraid my child would become
defined by his diagnosis. Instead of a "healthy" baby he'd be associated
as a "Spina Bifida baby" or "Child with a deformity". But the truth is,
he's not that different. He is a healthy baby who
HAPPENS TO HAVE SPINA BIFIDA.
So this blog post is about what Spina Bifida means to us.
 

S: Strength

 

Noah doesn't even realize how strong he's been.
He's gone through 5 major surgeries within 4 months.
We want to raise him to always be able to find the strength
within himself to overcome anything that comes his way.
 

P: Perseverance  

 
                  Perserverance means steadfastness in doing something
             despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.
 
 

I: Inspiration

 
This picture was taken only minutes after his
3rd brain surgery. If this little guy doesn't spark some kind
of inspiration I don't know what will.
 

N: New Perspective on Life 

 
Living in the hospital for a month straight,
seeing your innocent baby go back to surgery time
after time, the nights when he stopped breathing, the ICU stays,
EVERYTHING
has given me and Steven a new perspective on life.
We appreciate every good moment we have.
 

A: Adoration

 
Who ever said "Special" was a bad thing?
Noah is unique and wonderfully made.
We adore him.
 

B: Beauty

 
Beautiful inside and out.
 

I: Independent

 
This one isn't fully mastered yet but he will get
there and learn to be as independent possible.
One step at a time.
 

F: Full of Life

 
Noah is a joy in everyone's lifes he's around.
Always so full of happiness and giggles.
 

I: Incredible

 
This is of Noah smiling for the first time.
Nursing in the NICU with an IV in his head
and heart monitors on. Happy as can be.
 

D: Determination

 
Working so hard in physical therapy.
Getting stronger and stronger each day.
 

A: Amazing

 
 

 I think it's easy to tell that I think my
Son is absolutely amazing. He's the most wonderful
thing to ever happen to me. Spina  Bifida has not put a damper on my love for this little one at all. In fact, it's made him all the more wonderful, inspirational and special.
 

My advice for expecting parents?


Always let your child redifine his or her diagnosis.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment