Sunday, August 5, 2012

Baby Shower Yesterday!

I haven't been able to update at all recently due to lack of internet so it's been a couple weeks. Things that have happened recently are:
  • I hit the 30 week mark in this pregnancy :) This means only about 7-8 weeks left. Yikes.
  • It's officially been 10 weeks since we found out about Noah's diagnosis. I plan on writing a blog post to track these past 10 weeks and everything we've gone through within them. It's been pretty rough at times but also amazing. Be expecting this post soon. 
  • We had our Baby Shower!  
So here is my rant about the baby shower :)

It was PERFECT. It was hosted by my Mom's cousin Shirley. I think that makes us second cousins.. but I'm not for sure. Family relationship lingo confuses me. She did an amazing job. I asked my Mom one night if she was someone who was reliable and could be trusted and I really ate those words. Everything was organized and perfect. My Mom was also a huge huge help. She paid for all of the decor and games and the room. I'm so lucky to have such a wonderful Mom who wanted the shower to be perfect for Steven and I. Noah is so blessed to have her for a grandma. I'm so glad a good amount of people could make it! I really thought nobody was going to show up, but people did! We've had such a great support system during our whole pregnancy and it was amazing to see everyone in person all at once. I've missed all of my work friends, friends from High School and family members I hadn't seen in a while. My sister Gwen helped so much and has honestly been my right hand, go to girl, for this whole pregnancy. My best friend also came with cupcakes, an awesome gift, AND helped with games. Seriously couldn't ask for a better best friend. I can't wait to do the same for them someday. It was perfect. How did I get so lucky to have such amazing people help us have the most amazing shower ever?! 

I really felt like one lucky Mama! And Noah was one happy squirmy little baby too! Moved the whole time. Steven looked so handsome and met all of my friends and family. If I could go back and change one thing... it would be that Steven's family was there. It would have meant a lot to him. And literally nobody from his side showed up. And my family is much smaller than his. :( Maybe it was just bad timing.. but I know it was a bummer for him. I'm so glad he considers my family his family too. I know that helped. I really wanted this to be OUR shower. He helped make the little guy too after all. I love co-ed baby showers. They feel so modern and non-traditional. There were quite a few guys there too which was awesome. I even got Steven a baby shower present. A diaper backpack. Like a diaper bag.. but in backpack form. He seems to like it.

We got a TON of gifts! And it was all stuff we genuinely needed. I was so overwhelmed. People must have spent so much money on this little guy I'm cookin'. It really helped us out though. I haven't been able to work because of the high risk pregnancy and now we both feel so much more confident in being prepared for him. There are only a few things left for us to get and that is SUCH a good feeling. It couldn't have worked out any better.

Now for the sappy part...

We had originally planned for a shower in June. Actually June 15th to be exact. I would have been 21 or 22 weeks along. We wanted to go ahead and get it over with so we'd have extra time to get all of the rest of the stuff we needed for the baby. We planned the shower before we even knew what the sex of the baby was. I had already gathered addresses for invites and everything. Then we found out about Noah's diagnosis. Whenever we were considering ending the pregnancy the baby shower was out of the option. It was something I was looking forward to experiencing for the first time and now it wasn't going to happen. I had it in my head that I would never prepare for Noah, have a shower for him, hold him, ANYTHING. Of coarse most of you have read my post about our hard decision of whether or not to keep him or end the pregnancy... and it was honestly the most torturous experience of my life. So many thoughts running through my head. We obviously decided to continue the pregnancy. Pretty much up to this point it has been nothing short of a huge roller-coaster of emotions for Steven and I. WAY more good days than bad though. But I'll elaborate on that more in a different post.

To sum it up though, this shower meant a lot to me. It was something I just never thought would happen. PLUS it was the one of the days where I could completely forget about stupid Spina Bifida. I got to celebrate the fact that the sweet little angel in my belly will be arriving soon. Disabilities or not, he is still a baby. Who deserves a shower and gifts and to just be celebrated. There was no mention of Spina Bifida. Well except when I recieved a Bumbo Chair as a gift and announced that it could be made into a baby wheel-chair.. which I was okay with. I think they are adorable and if Noah needs one, well now we have it :) Oh except I was an idiot and didn't realize that the family member who bought it for us didn't know about Noah's condition. Woops. But other than that I just really appreciated treating this pregnancy just like every other healthy pregnancy. We are so incredibly blessed and thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment