Thursday, June 14, 2012

About Steven and Myself

Our Story
I met Steven when I was in High School. We were in Theatre together, I designed costumes and he designed sets. He was a Senior and I was just a Sophomore. I had a boyfriend when we met but that didn't keep us apart. I quickly broke up with him to spend all of my time with Steven. There was something about him that just felt right. Knowing that he would be attending college in the fall we tried our hardest to live up the first summer we were together. It was easily the best summer of my life. We did everything we could possibly think of. We went to the lake, parks, movies, restaurants, bowling, theme parks.. literally ANYTHING that we could do together.

Once fall came around he left for college to Major as a set designer at Webster University. We went from seeing each other every day and night over the summer to barely once a week. It was surprisingly hard for us. Even though we had only been together 3 months.. we didn't want to be apart. I encouraged him to stay in college though or transfer to a college in town. Steven didn't listen and unrolled from Webster after only being there a few months. I like to think that he didn't quit college for me.. and he just really didn't like college instead. But who knows. Everything happens for a reason I guess. He stayed with me at my Mom's house for a few months because his room at his Dad's house was no longer available..but I didn't mind. I loved getting to see him again.
Thanksgiving at our Apartment

In November 2009 we did the unthinkable and decided to move out and get our own apartment. He was 18 and I was only 16. The apartment complex was only a few blocks away from my Mom's house and I still spent most of my time there. Steven started working night shift at a grocery warehouse which was a big change. I never had very many responsibilities when I was living at home...and neither had he. So this was very different for us. At first it was like we were just playing house and we loved every minute of it. Then reality set in that we now had bills to pay and we had to start growing up.

The following year we upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment so we would have more room and I started my first job as a Preschool Teacher. I worked in the afternoons with 2 and 3 year olds. I've always loved children and couldn't wait to become a real Teacher or have a child of my own one day.
Despite what some people had assumed.. I graduated High School in 2011. I moved out at a young age.. and didn't drop out.. which was a surprise I guess. Living on my own became a normal thing to me. I never envied people who still lived at home, I liked the Independence.

I have always been fairly healthy growing up, aside from the occasional ear infection or sore throat. But the summer after I graduated I found myself in Urgent Care with unbearable side and pelvic pains. I had no idea what was going on. I was later diagnosed with ovarian cysts and PID. Which is treatable and caused by birth control. PID is the number one cause of female infertility and I was told it would take a long time for me to get pregnant if I even could. My doctor told me to not worry about birth control if I was staying with my long term partner. So we didn't. I was absolutely convinced that I would never be able to have children.

Fall of 2012 I started attending college for Elementary Education at a local Community College. I started working another job at a Daycare on top of my job at the Preschool. I really enjoyed school and work but couldn't stop thinking about what our life would be like without children.

My birthday had always been a depressing day for me because two years ago my Grandpa passed away on my birthday. So every time it rolls around I'm more depressed than excited. Steven knew how much I dreaded my birthday and decided to make it a happy day for me to remember instead. February 9th 2012 he proposed to me on one knee in our two bedroom apartment after I had a bad day at school. It was everything I had hoped for and more. He teared up and so did I. Nothing has ever felt more right.

The day after we got engaged we went to Branson to celebrate, and I was sick the entire time. Steven laughed and told me I was pregnant and I didn't believe him. I even got upset because he knew that I didn't think it could happen and didn't want him to get my hopes up. The next day he came home with a pregnancy test and it was POSITIVE.

Even though we are young.. this was still a blessing to us after hearing such devastating news that we wouldn't be able to ever conceive. This baby was our blessing and both of us were ecstatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment